How to have a sustainable Christmas
There are lots of ways in which you can have a greener Christmas.
- Shop locally to support small, independent businesses and to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Gift something handmade, re-gift items or presents you received and won't use.
- Minimise your food waste. Have a look at these recipes for using up Christmas foods.
- Cycle, walk or use public transport to visit family and friends over the festive period if you're able to do so.
- Make your own reusable Christmas crackers
- Make your own Christmas decorations
- Reuse wrapping paper, wrapping decorations and gift bags. Wrap presents in fabric or handmade wrapping paper or make your own gift bags .
- If you're sending Christmas cards, look for glitter free cards or send e-cards. Recycle cards in your recycling bin or at the household waste recycling centre. For those cards which can't be recycled, make them into gift tags for use next year.
- Re-wear your Christmas jumper, buy one from a charity shop, or decorate a jumper you already own
- Consider a sustainable or alternative option to a Christmas tree. If you don't have a lot of space, decorate a house plant.
Was this helpful? 0 0