Q. Can we put recordings of broadcasts onto the VLE for overseas students?


Where broadcast content that is covered by the ERA licence is being recorded, then the terms of the ERA licence control what use can be made of the broadcast recording.  Currently, supplying recordings to students based overseas is not permitted under the terms of the ERA licence. 

Programmes available via the Box of Broadcasts streaming service are likewise only to be used within the UK.

For broadcast recordings not covered by the ERA or another licence, you can provide access via a secure electronic network to any students and staff.  There is no specific restriction to access in the UK only.

You might also like to use copyright-cleared media materials available via JISC MediaHub. Other sources are listed on the audio-visual section of our Copyright Guide.


  • Last Updated Jun 12, 2020
  • Views 66
  • Answered By Rebecca Mackle

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0