Q. Can I use material from TV/radio for teaching purposes within my institution?


The University owns an ERA licence as well as a subscription to the Box of Broadcasts (BoB) streaming service.

The ERA licence allows the University to make recordings for inclusion in the Library's collection; they can also be played via the VLE.

The ERA licence does not allow:

  • the performance of recordings in front of private or public audiences which have paid to see the performance

  • copying of commercial tapes, records and videos bought in from outside 

  • adaptation or modification of works contained in cable and broadcast programmes 

BoB is a streaming service from the BUFVC. Under the terms of the BoB licence, educational establishments are able to record materials available on TV and radio channels. Clips can be used for teaching, presentations, or on the VLE, with some restrictions:

  • recordings may not be copied or stored 

  • recordings made with BoB can only be shown in the UK - so they may not be used for overseas distance learning courses


  • Last Updated Feb 03, 2016
  • Views 49
  • Answered By Rebecca Mackle

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0